Thursday, August 30, 2012

Sabudana Khichdi


This recipe is one of my favourite. I remember when i was a kid.. my mum used to make this during Sankashti (its a fast which comes once a month.. devoted to Lord Ganesha)... Well.. I dont fast.. Ever.. its just not my thing.. All the other members of my family used to fast except me.. I used to keep some space in my tummy just for this khichdi...

This recipe is actually made without garlic but as I love garlic.. i had to add it... and believe me it taste gooood... rest all ingredients are same..

This requires prior preperation.. especially like soaking Sabudana which is a bit tricky part but not very difficult.. Make sure you wash sabudana thrice atleast so that all that powdery thing is washed off... Then put the washed sabudana in a bowl and put very little water so that it just covers the sabudana. Too much water makes sabudana soggy.. Keep it soaked for 4 to 5 hours.

Ingredients

1 cup Sabudana washed and soaked
2 medium potatoes (boiled, peeled and cut in small cubes)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 green chilly, 1 garlic and 1/2 inch ginger(all crushed together)
1/2 cup peanuts (dry roasted , peeled and coarsely ground)
small bunch of coriander leaves ( washed and chopped)
salt as per taste
1/2 tsp sugar
1 to 2 tsp lemon juice
4 tsp Oil for cooking

Method

Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter, then add potatoes and ginger, garlic and chilly paste and fry till potatoes gets little brown. Add salt and sugar and mix well. Add ground peanut powder to soaked Sabudana and add this mixture to Potato mixture and mix well. Close the lid and let it cook on slow flame for few minutes. Add chopped coriander leaves and let it cook in steam for few seconds. The sabudana should become transparent, if not then cook for some more time and close the flame. Add lemon juice before serving. Make sure you dont add lemon juice during cooking process as it can make sabudana soggy.

Enjoy this delicious Sabudana rich in protein.. Cheers!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment